Okra and Shrimp Stew
Okra and Shrimp Stew
- 2 pkgs frozen Okra or 1 pound of fresh Okra
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped veggies, like onions, bell pepper, and celery (can use Guidry’s Fresh Cuts or Mirepoix frozen veggies)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, mild if you don’t want too much heat
- 1 tsp All You Can Spice Solo Seasoning
- 1 tsp All You Can Spice Creole Seasoning
- 2 cups of water, chicken or seafood stock (if not using stock or broth, salt to taste)
- 1 pound of peeled uncooked shrimp, or cooked pork, sausage or chicken
Stove Top Method:
- Wash fresh okra. Remove stems and cut okra into 1/2 inch rounds.
- In a heavy Dutch oven, cook the fresh or frozen okra in the oil over medium low heat stirring continually for about 45 minutes until the okra is not very stringy. Don't use cast iron as the acid in the okra will remove the seasonings in your cast iron pot.
- In another skillet, sauté the onions and veggies in one tablespoon of oil until wilted. Add in the okra, tomatoes, and seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes have cooked down. If okra is still stringy, put covered mixture in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you're using frozen okra, defrost in a microwave or at room temperature.
- In a large Dutch oven with a lid, add the oil. Then add the okra, onion and chopped veggies and tomatoes. Stir and heat until the pot is warm (this helps speed the cooking process).
- Cover the pot and place in the preheated 350 degree oven. Set your timer for 1 hour. Take out and stir thoroughly. Repeat this step at 1/2 hour intervals. After two hours you can judge if you need to cook longer. You can also start in the evening, cook in oven for 2 hours and then turn off oven until next morning. Heat left in oven will continue to smother the okra.
For okra soup or stew, add water or stock depending on the degree of soupiness you desire Add uncooked shrimp for the last 10 minutes, or cooked pork, sausage, beef or chicken until heated. Serve over rice.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.