• 1 1/2 cups red lentils
• 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cayenne peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp All You Can Spice Advieh blend
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp Salt and ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup plain bread crumbs
• Olive oil, for shallow-frying
1. Place the lentils in a large bowl, cover with double the volume of water, and cook in the microwave on high for 15 minutes (You could also choose to boil them in a pot). Drain any excess liquid. Set aside to cool.
2. While lentils are cooking, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Add the cayenne, cilantro, and Advieh and stir to coat the onions. Break the eggs into a large bowl and beat well with a whisk. Add the cooked shallots and the cooked lentils and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bread crumbs to bind and set aside for about 10 minutes.
3. With wet hands (this is important, as it adds some needed moisture to bind the patties), form the lentil mixture into golfball-sized balls and flatten. Cook the patties in the olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Serve with homemade flatbread (or pita) and salad. You can also serve these as a side to any dish you'd like.
Tip: These patties can be cooked in advance and reheated, either in the microwave on high for 1 minute or on a baking sheet in a warm oven for 5 minutes. Make large patties to make delicious veggie burgers.
Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
Comments will be approved before showing up.